Management Processes and Information SystemsBack to Course Guide
The course provides a fundamental understanding of the functions of management and the importance of information systems in an organizational setting. The course covers such topics as the structure of organizations, communication systems in the organization, the development of information systems, and managing system changes.
UPON COMPLETION OF THE COURSE, THE STUDENT WILL BE COMPETENT IN:
- Defining and discussing the functions of management.
- Understanding the various schools of management thought and the key contributions made by important management theorists.
- Discussing the internal and external forces that affect business, including how these forces affect the decisions and performance of a company.
- Describing ethical influences on decision making and the practical steps that managers can take to improve ethical decision making.
- Discussing the benefits and pitfalls of planning, steps and limitations of rational decision making, and group decision techniques.
- Understanding the strategy-making process and how managers use strategies to obtain a sustainable competitive advantage.
- Discussing the issues associated with organizational innovation and organizational change.
- Understanding the management implications of global trade and globalization.
- Discussing organizational structure and organizational design.
- Discussing the advantages and disadvantages of work teams and practical steps for managing teams within organizations.
- Discussing key aspects of human resource systems, determining human resource needs, and effectively managing the human resource lifecycle.
- Understanding and discussing what diversity is, why it matters, and how it can be managed.
- Discussing concepts and management implications of human motivation, leadership, and communication in contemporary organizations.
- Discussing the role of the internet and personal information systems, work-group information systems, and enterprise information systems utilized by organizations.
- Discussing how organizations integrate, process, and protect information, knowledge, and expertise using management information systems.